Home Made Garlic Pickle Recipe
Most of us love having pickle that too especially while enjoying the curd rice. Many think that it is difficult to make pickles in home. So we usually but it from stores. However this pickle is something simple and easy to make at home, which is nothing but the garlic pickle. Not even with curd rice this garlic pickle goes well with plain steamed rice while adding little ghee to it. A spicy as well as flavorful condiment recipe, chiefly used a taste enhancer for daily meals.
See Also: Traditional Srilankan Sambol Recipe
Garlic Pickle Ingredients
- Gingelly oil – 1/2 cup
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Garlic cloves – 1 cup
- Chili powder – 3 tsp
- Cumin powder – 1 tsp
- Fenugreek powder – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – 2 tsp
- Tamarind puree – 2 tbsp
- Jaggery – 1 tsp
- Take a wide sauce pan and heat the gingelly oil in low flame. Once the oil is heated add the mustard seeds
- When the mustard seeds start spluttering, add one cup of garlic cloves and cook till light they turn into golden color.
- When the garlic turns into golden brown colour then it is the good time to add the chili powder, cumin powder, fenugreek powder, asafoetida and salt. Mix everything gently
- Make sure that you cook everything in low flame. Also ensure you add little salt then you can check for the seasoning later.
- To this add tamarind puree and mix well. Then add jaggery to balance the flavour
- Initially cook for 10 minutes till oil separates and let the raw smell disappear.
- Once the smell disappears add allow the pickle to cool down. You can store the cooled pickle in an air tight container.
- Serve the garlic pickle with Steamed Rice, Curd Rice, Idli, Dosa or Upma.
Change over: Instead of gingelly oil you can replace it with mustard oil or sesame oil. Further to enhance the taste you can also add lemon or white vinegar.