Home Made Amchur Powder Recipe
The most used seasoning powder in all the Andhra, Punjabi and Rajasthani cuisine. This amchur powder would always be added at the last, when the curry is almost ready. You can feel the difference of curry ahead addition of amchur and after the add-on of amchur.
This powder will give your curry a slight tang and hint of sourness flavour. This recipe is made by drying and crushing the mangoes into powder. The important thing here is you need to use only unripe raw mangoes. In simple it better to use kaccha Aam.
Amchur Powder Ingredients
- Raw mango/ Kaccha Aam.
- Quantity is as per how much you desire. With these raw mangoes, initially you have to wash, dry and peel the mango strips. And finally grind these dried strips to powder.
- Take the raw mangoes or the Kaccha Aam and wash them nicely.
- Using a cloth, dry the cleaned unripe mangoes. Also, allow it to air dry for about 5 minutes.
- With the help of stripper or peeler , peel the skin of the mangoes.
- Make sure that you do not leave any trace of the skin on the mangoes, so peel them properly.
- Once done with the removal of the skin. with the help of the peeler itself start peeling the whole dry mangoes into very thin stripes.
- Be careful in slicing them. Each and every slice should be thin since to dry them in the sun.
- Place all the peeled mangoes in a plate and clean them with a dry cloth.
- Then place the thin mango strips in a large plates that strips or not embedded to one another. Giving some space between each strip.
- Cover the plate using a thin cloth or use a transparent glass lid. Once done place the plate under the sunlight for 5-6 days. Expose the plate to sun light for all these days and the peeled mangoes dry and become crisp.
- You can note the change of the mangoes texture changing from the 4th day onwards.
- After the mangoes are well dried, add the strips to the mixer grinder.
- Grind it to a fine and smooth powder.
- Cool the powder to a room temperature, store it in an air tight container . Now your tangy amchur powder is ready to be used.